Did you know that 10-30% of older adults live with insomnia? The quality of our sleep often deteriorates as we age. The body cannot process circadian signals as efficiently, which in turn may cause older people to go to bed and wake up at earlier times.
If you noticed your senior feeling tired and sleepy all day, they may have trouble falling asleep at night. One way you can combat this problem is by taking note of these tips our home health care agency would like to share with you.
Gentle Care Nursing Service, Inc. Home Health Care Agency, a provider of nursing services in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, suggests the following:
- A clean environment is a suitable place to relax and sleep in. Make sure to remove dust and clutter and use clean sheets and curtains to ensure relaxation after a long day.
- Utilizing an air conditioning system can achieve the perfect temperature for your loved one to sleep in. Investing in blinds to keep out light is also encouraged.
- Did you know that blue light emitted from digital screens can reduce the production of melatonin? Melatonin is an essential brain chemical that helps us sleep.
- Heavy meals and alcohol will only keep your senior up at night. Since the body is processing so many foods, the brain remains too active to sleep. Trips to the bathroom may also become frequent.
- Sleeping during the daytime can disturb our internal clock. As such, helping your senior take in as much sunlight during the day can help encourage a restful sleep at night. Our caregivers in Pennsylvania can help keep your senior active during the day.
For more senior health tips, do not hesitate to contact us. We will be more than glad to help you!.