The older a person gets, the more vulnerable they are to conditions that affect their health. This includes eyesight.
About 36 million older adults fall each year because of bad eyesight—resulting in more than 32,000 deaths. Are you playing an active part in your eye health?
A balanced diet and regular exercise can help prevent many debilitating diseases from affecting a senior. But there are also other things they can take to support their health, such as medicinal supplements and herbs.
As a certified Home Health Care Agency, we care about you and your loved one’s health. Which is why we’re giving you this list of important herbs and supplement to support eye health.
- Ginkgo – improves blood flow to the back of the eye
- Wolfberries – is known to improve eyesight, moistens dry eyes, and prevents macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy
- Eyebright – is found in teas and homeopathic eyedrops; used to reduce inflammation and infection
- Green Tea – contains vitamin C and E; protects eye tissues from glaucoma
- Nutritional Supplements
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – is linked to healthy visual development and retinal function; helps regulate intraocular pressure
- Selenium – shields cells from damage; can be found in walnuts and enriched bread
- Beta carotene – lowers the risk of macular degeneration, stroke, and other diseases; helps with vitamin A production
How We Can Help
It might be tough for older adults to keep track of the medications and vitamins they have to take daily. Having professional Caregivers in Pennsylvania around to assist them when needed is a great way to prevent medication errors from happening.